Take a look at the stages of building our house from recycled materials, straw bales, and clay. Scroll down for a history of the house!
History of a farm house
The original farm house was built in 1795 and was owned by the Thorp Family who were sheep farmers. The Laberge Famly took ownership in the nineteenth century and started diary farming. The land was sold to the Vermont Conservation Trust in 2000. Tiny and Roel became the owners in 2002, but one year later the house burned down due to an electrical fire.
Although the house was gone the vision was still alive. Tiny and Roel decided to restore the 200 year old foundation and rebuild the house where the historical farm house once stood.
From the beginning, we wanted to rebuild the house using resources already available. Most of the materials used to build the house are recycled or found locally. The house construction uses local posts and beams from old, local barns, and wood boards cut from local forests, etc.
The straw baling used local organic straw which has been stored in the hay loft for a couple of years. We have over 1,000 bales of hay to insulate the house.
It took over thirteen years to complete the house with help from hundreds of people who are now life long members of the ever growing Windy Corners community. As of today, the house is comfortable and beautiful but finishing touches are still being added like functional storage space on the second and third floors, as well as wood trim for that added aesthetic.